Sunday, January 13, 2013

Part of the Team

Watching sports is any Country's favorite past-time. The sport could be Football, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Lacrosse, Hockey, etc.
But what does it mean to be a fan? 
To me, a fan is someone who never deserts there team. A fan is someone who cheers for the same team, winning or losing. A fan is a person who doesn't jump from one team to another based on stats, or performance.
 I myself am a home town girl, which means to me that I cheer for my hometown teams (Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche, Rapids, Mammoth). Recently myself and other fans have witnessed a defeat by the Baltimore Ravens for a chance at the AFC championship. I have been disgusted by the response of "fans" on the social networks. Yes, I am disappointed that we did not make it to the championships but at the same time I am very proud to be a Denver Broncos fan. Yes, there were obvious mistakes made by my team in the game but it is nothing for me to disown my team or to act like I am mortified or pissed off to be a Broncos fan.  I will always love my Broncos and I look forward to the next season of football were hopefully we can learn from our mistakes and move on as a team. When I think of a fan, I always think of the         
                                                                 Oakland Raiders. 
The Oakland Raiders are undoubtedly the worst team in the NFL, but if you knew nothing about football and saw the Oakland Raiders fans you would never know that.  They cheer and stay in the there seats even when they are obviously not going to win the game. The fans appreciated there teams and will stick with them throughout anything.
After the devasting loss to the Baltimore Ravens, I attended a Colorado Mammoth Lacrosse home opener at the Pepsi Center. 
Talk about a fan base!!! 
The crowd at these games are always filled with excitement! Even though as the game continued and it didn't look very good for the Mammoth the crowd was still very excited. Cheering at every goal our team made no matter how far behind we were. The Mammoth do something very special that I have not seen else where. During the last 90 seconds of the game winning or losing the crowd stands and stays on there feet. Almost as if it is a standing ovation for the home team. 
So to be called a true fan in my eyes you need to stand by your team no matter what happens. You need to always be for your home team and never give anything but shared disappointment when something doesn't go according to plan. 
Now a fan, Forever a fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment